Monday, March 17, 2008

Trying to be the good son . . .

Spent a fair amount of time in the hospital over the weekend, with my mother. Those of you who have been through this with an elderly parent know the drill: weakness, weight loss, falls, aches and pains, atrial fibrillation, coumadin, bruising, etc., etc. Add in low platelets and depression, and you've got a wintry mix. We're looking for Assisted Living and/or Extended Care Nursing Home. It's really for the best. And even she agrees now. I guess the upside is one gets to see almost the whole family together in one place. For instance: a very fun lunch break with several sisters, turned family conference at Panera. And our Mom can still crack a good joke now and then: she had the Nurses Aid in stitches over something that ended "I said VIP, not VIB."

4 comments:

Jeannine said...

I'm so sorry, Peter. I'll be thinking good thoughts for your mother!

Collin Kelley said...

I'm also sorry to hear this, Peter, but I fear I will soon be dealing with this with both my parents. Neither is in very good health.

Peter said...

Thank you for your thoughts J & C.
Yes, it is never easy with aging parents. Best (I almost typed "blessed") to plan ahead.

I my wish my mother had purchased Long Term Care Insurance, and signed a Living Will, or DPA -- but she refused to do any of this.

In the long run, not deciding is a kind of deciding, I guess.

Radish King said...

Sorry, sweetie.
xxoo