Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Genesis/Gin Sees

More fun with anagrams:


Genesis
Gin Sees

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
In the benign gin, God the servant threatened headache.

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
Now the self-weary mad sportsman, draws snakes over the perfect deaf house, and the frigid stoop was sovereign over the wrath.

And God said, Let there be light, and there was light.
And God said, The tiger! The bell! Dawn’s later height.

God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness.
God, aghast, saw hot wild ghetto, and He spared the deathless king from threat.

God called the light day, and the darkness he called night. And there was evening, and there was morning, the first day.
God gladly ate the child, and the scathing hells darkened. And hate wins revenge, and hot warm sneering, the day’s rift.


*

14 comments:

The Sublibrarian said...

OK, now you've got me worried about you.

(Seriously, though — great fun.)

Anne Haines said...

Oh *my*. This has gone beyond fun and games to ... something. (But still fun.)

Jennifer said...

Peter, this is absolutely fascinating. It made me consider how much world-view is built around words, merely symbols, which can so easily be rearranged. So much power and so much limitation in the same little marks.

Relief Map said...

Fantastic. The anagram is one of God's great inventions. And turn-around is always fair play. Well done.

A. D. said...

I'm sporting the big goofy grin over here. I love it.

meg rains said...

Love this. Love. Love. Love. It.

Radish King said...

Peter, are you writing your own On Earth?

Keep going.

bjanepr said...

omg this ex-catholic says this is so great peter!

Emily Lloyd said...

The Bible Code, a bestseller, was built on less than this, I think. Alert the presses that you've discovered the secret messages in Genesis, sit back, and cash in. (PS--Do Leviticus!)

Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

God, aghast, saw hot wild ghetto, and He spared the deathless king from threat.

God gladly ate the child, and the scathing hells darkened. And hate wins revenge, and hot warm sneering, the day’s rift.



Love this. I knew it was really "God gladly ate the child" and "saw hot wild ghetto." I wonder what you could do with a Beatle's album. ;-)

Charles said...

You might be getting tired of me telling you what a genius you are.

If so, stop providing occasion for praise.

These are amazing, and I think it would make such a compelling anagram poem to have these new lines replace the original genesis lines.

Peter said...

Hi all: I am glad you are finding this interesting, compelling. I was worried it was too dark; or sacreligious.
Charles: I love it when you call me a genius. Even though I feel so unworthy. Keep it coming . . .lol
Peter

Justin C. said...

Hmmm. Interesting. I have never seen anything like this before. So I don't really know what to say:)

C. Dale said...

This is wonderful. Do more! And I agree with Em, do Leviticus.