Friday, August 18, 2006

Having a great time in Des Moines. My hosts took me out to the State Fair last night. It was about 80 degrees and sticky, and jam-packed with people. There was live country music playing on several stages across the grounds, and cicadas chirping in the trees. I saw a 1999 (correction: 1199) pound pig, who sat there with his face in his food dish. Giant ears of corn. Prize-winning peppers and tomatoes and melons. And a huge cow made entirely out of butter (I am not kidding: it's like an ice sculpture, except they carved it out of butter). We ate rib-eye steak sandwiches and cole slaw that was out of this world. More later . . .

4 comments:

Collin Kelley said...

Sounds like trans-fat heaven out there. Have fun and keep your arteries clean. ;)

cornshake said...

did i read right--a pig that was almost 2000 POUNDS??!

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Has all the makings of a great time.

Peter said...

A: My bad. A typo. They do grow them big in Iowa, but I believe he actually weighed 1,199 lbs. He won the prize for the biggest pig. I think his name was "Waldo." (Though nobody had trouble *finding* him . .. ~grin~).