Friday, February 10, 2006

Code Black

I practically never watch Gray's Anatomy or ER or those other medical shows, because they are usually so fake and far-fetched, but also just too frenetic and stressful to watch. I'd prefer a good gay situation comedy any day. But I could not turn off last night's (rerun?) of Gray's Anatomy's "Code Black" episode. The gist of the story: a patient in the OR about to have trauma surgery is discovered to have an unexploded ordnance in his chest. And the paramedic (a timid/brave young woman on her first week of duty) who has her hand in his chest to stop bleeding actually has her hand on the bomb, and if she removes her hand the whole OR staff will become "pink mist." It's sort of a reverse "Hands on a Hard Body" as one by one the OR staff deserts her, and she is alone, one hand in his chest, the other squeezing the ambu bag to ventilate him.

Of course, the stars of the show come back, and the paramedic is able to flee, leaving a poor young resident holding the bomb. And that's where it ends! To be continued. Arrrrgh.

I will not watch this show again!

~grin~

4 comments:

The Sublibrarian said...

Usually they manage to avoid the ER trap (the plot's flagging--quick, another dozen victims!). It really is character driven most of the time. And it's nice to see Sandra Oh getting steady work.

My favorite doctor series was, I think, St. Elsewhere. It had a kind of weirdness that no one else has duplicated. I still (fondly) remember the episode in which Mrs. Hufnagel's bed smothered her.

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

I am addicted to Grey's Anatomy--it's the only TV drama I can think of that lets the main character actually whine all the way through a monologue. And of all the characters, I "heart" most Miranda Bailey, MD--she reminds me of my own primary care doctor, and I wish I had more of her feistiness.

Ginger Heatter said...

LOL! Seth's the same way about Law & Order and other "criminal justice" television shows. He can't bear to watch their wild innaccuracies. And don't even get me started about the way Hollywood usually portrays poets. :-P

Anonymous said...

grays anatomy is just a copy of scrubs, but not a comedy