Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Margaret Hodge RIP

Seattle poet Margaret Hodge died April 28th, from complications of TTP (Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura). Margaret was a kind and gentle soul, and a wonderful poet, with three books published by Bellowing Ark Press. She was a founding member of Floating Bridge Press, and a member of South Grand poets for several years. She is survived by three sons.

Here's a poem from her book How Fur Seals Keep Warm:

The Mother and Son Flute-Piano Duet

-- for Randy Nordfors, 15

Let me play that one note
again I said was not enough.
I want to dangle it from my
index finger, over and over
with the rhythm you wanted
from me as you ran muscular
and light around its track
on the flute melody you wrote.
I'll be constant as breathing.
Count on my smooth ground.


A memorial service will be held at Bethany Presbyterian Church 1818 Queen Anne Avenue North, on May 11th, at 7:30 pm.

3 comments:

Radish King said...

Sad news, indeed.

Anonymous said...

just back in town and heard. shocked, and so very sorry.

esther

Anonymous said...

I am trying to contact one of Margaret Hodge's sons. Please forward this message. I am Peggies Cousin Artie from California. Marjorie Sweeney was my Grandmother.

ARTPAM@PACBELL.NET

Thanks,

Art Sweeney