Friday, November 09, 2007

Had a fun time reading in Tacoma. Susan and I met up with Allen at the Mandolin restaurant beforehand. We had an engaged and attentive audience (except for the girls text-messaging in the back ~grin~). Gorgeous Mexican artwork in the gallery, including an amazing painting by Alfredo Arreguin. And a special appearance by RB in the audience (so good to see you!).

I read a few new pieces that went over OK, I think. I also read some poems from What's Written on the Body that I don't usually read, including "Crossing the Pear." (Susan and I were on a dead father theme for part of the evening. But there was also a good amount of humor and levity.) I love trying out a few new poems at the beginning of the reading. After reading them to an audience, I can sometimes tell if they are "done," or if and where they still need some tinkering (or major surgery).

*

Ron Slate has a review of the Primary Care anthology up on his website, and talks about a poem of mine that is in that anthology. (yes, I was self-googling, I confess).

*

I have today off before returning to clinic Saturday. Perhaps I'll get some writing done? One can only hope.

*

No comments: