Saturday, November 04, 2006

Chicano Mariposa

 

Dean and I went to hear Rigoberto read at Elliott Bay tonight. The rain was coming down in sheets, with flood warnings up across the state. Still there was a decent turnout. Rigoberto read three parts from the memoir: a Day of the Dead/Halloween story; a piece about a fateful busride with his father in Mexico, where he had hoped to come out to him; and a recounting of his getting accepted into UC Riverside (the first in his family to go to college) as teenager, and leaving home for good. It was a lovely reading, and Rigoberto is such a pleasant, kind presence. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book.
 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is a beautiful cover

Oliver de la Paz said...

Alas, I wish I could've gone. I'm trying to bring him up to Bellingham in the Fall.