Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Had a complete day off today for the first time in a long time. (No work, no social or family commitments). OMG I had almost forgotten what it was like.

I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill for about 20 minutes, then did upper body weights. Then came home and worked in the yard for a little while before going to Vivace to read/write.

I read in the new paperback edition of James Schuyler's Selected Poems. It is wonderful so far. Also got some significant work done on a few new poems. (yay!)

Why does starting the day at the gym always make it feel like a more productive day, no matter what you do after?

*

3 comments:

Lee Herrick said...

I need to get to a gym.

I wanted to leave you a message saying how much I liked your poem about the girl/mother (presumably from Cambodia since the mother mentions Pol Pot) and the "beauty mark." I read it this afternoon in the Copper Canyon catalog. I've been to Phnom Penh. It's beautiful and at the same time startling. In the poem's last line, the speaker states that he is "weakening." I wonder what (would have) happened in the end. I hope this isn't too off topic, Peter. I've never been too aware of netiquette (or whatever it's called).

anyway, I loved the poem.

Peter said...

Hi Lee:
Thanks for your comment.
I am glad you enjoyed the poem, "Beauty Mark." You will just have to get the book to see what happens next, as the catalogue you saw only printed the first half of the poem, and left the ending hanging. I think you will like it.
all best,
Peter

PS: your forthcoming book sounds interesting. COngrats.

Lee Herrick said...

thanks, Peter. I'm ordering today.