Saturday, September 12, 2009


I was invited a while back to write some poems in response to the Imogen Cunningham photography up at SAM. I'll be presenting that, and also reading from other recent work this Thursday at the Seattle Art Museum, along with poet Nicole Hardy (who sounds like she is a real hoot)-- see below for more details. And come on down if you are free.

SAM Word
September 17, 2009
7:30–8:30 pm
South Hall
Seattle Art Museum

Poets Nicole Hardy, author of "Mud Flap Girl's XX Guide to Facial Profiling," and Peter Pereira, author of "What's Written on the Body," a finalist for the Washington State Book Award, read new work in response to the SAM exhibition Everything Under the Sun: Photographs by Imogen Cunningham. Curated by Richard Hugo House.

Free with museum admission.

*

In other news, I was reading today in the new issue of Out Magazine, about transsexual surgeon Marci Bowers, who does some really incredible and important work in small town Trinidad, Colorado, otherwise known as the "transsexual surgery capital of the world." As I read more about her, I discovered she used to be Mark Bowers, a Seattle OBGYN. And then I realized, OMG, this was a guy I did residency at UW with 20+ years ago, who was an OBGYN Resident while I was a Family Medicine Resident. I would never have guessed he was transsexual. Maybe he was just closed in and defended? Regardless, it's amazing how people can change, isn't it?

Check out some cool you tube videos about Dr. Marci Bowers here.





*

No comments: