Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 

Kwame Dawes' Wisteria is one of the most interesting books I have read all year. It's a collection of persona poems, in the voices of black women who lived in the south during the 20th century, and survived segregation, the civil rights movement, economic and social upheavals of all sorts. It's a fascinating history, mostly of the relationships these women had: with husbands, lovers, children, employers, white neighbors, etc. It's really quite moving. Highly recommended. (And what fantastic cover art).

I gave my copy to a friend in Port Townsend, who let me stay in her lovely writing studio/guest house Sunday night (thank you, K!). Now I'll need to buy another copy. I'll be going back up to PT on Thursday, to attend some more of the Centrum Writer's Conference. I love it up there. And it always gets my creative juices flowing. Posted by Picasa

No comments: