Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Below Job

Fascinating article by Christopher Hitchens in the current issue of Vanity Fair (gasp!) about the history of the Blowjob. Including the term's supposed Victorian origin in the phrase "the below job." With wide-ranging references to Pompeii frescoes, the Kamasutra, Auden's poem "The Platonic Blow," Lolita, Erica Jong, The Godfather, The World According to Garp, "Mickey Mouth" in Vietnam, the seminal 60's movie "Deep Throat," and the Clinton White House, it's a big gulp (hehehehe). "At some point, though, there must have been a crossover in which a largely forbidden act of slightly gay character was imported into the heterosexual mainstream."

Hitchen's friend, David Aaronovitch recounts "his embarrassment at being in the same room as his young daughter when the TV blared the news that the president of the United States had received oral sex in the Oval Office vestibule." And then how "the little girl asked him, 'Daddy, what's a vestibule?'"

5 comments:

Diane K. Martin said...

Oh that last comment was hysterical!

BTW, (change of topic) in my brand new class today, I used both your recent Babelfish translation experiments *and* your recipes way back for sestina and villanelle. So thanks!

-dkm

Brian Campbell said...

Hilarious. And informative. From deep down below... no actually, I mean the bottom of my heart, thanks for this.

-- Brian

Collin said...

Hmmm... I need to get that new Vanity Fair. Does it offer any tips and helpful hints? lol

Peter said...

D, B, C: glad you enjoyed.
Diane: I'd love to hear how the class went.

Pamela said...

Daddy, what's a vestibule? Finally, I've received proof that there's such a thing as the "vestibule virgins" to which one of my classmates alluded in our Classical Literature seminar. Thanks for the laugh...

Also, this post reminded me of one of my favorite William Matthews poems. I'll put it on my blog.